Agriculture and Estates
“The wisdom of a London firm in a county town” (Chambers UK 2010)
We have a long history of working closely with estate owners, farmers, agricultural businesses, land agents and others involved in the rural farming community, both in the Sussex region and elsewhere throughout the UK. We continually build on our existing expertise and skill bases so as to maintain our ability to provide an up to the minute bespoke service on the diverse range of issues that affect our clients, including:-
- Property related issues (including sales and purchases, share farming agreements, tenancy agreements and other occupational licences and agreements, planning and development matters, wayleave agreements, rights of way, and first registration of land at HM Land Registry)
- Estate Planning and Succession matters (including tax planning, trust advice, wills and probate)
- Employment Law issues (including service occupancy agreements, terms and conditions of employment, advice on TUPE matters and termination of employment)
- Company and Commercial matters (including formation of companies and partnerships, sales and purchases of businesses, share sale agreements and joint venture agreements).
- Environmental and Health and Safety issues (including compliance matters, issues relating to asbestos and contamination issues).
- Litigation/Dispute Resolution (including boundary disputes, securing possession of land and/or buildings and dealing with enforcement notices)
- Telecommunications issues (including wayleave agreements and erection of masts).
Our proven experience in the agricultural law sector has won us commendations in the 2009 edition of Chambers UK, who have noted our strengths in landowning work, in particular our expertise in the management of landed estates and the related issues of devolution and taxation. They also commend our skill in agricultural property relief, heritage property relief, agricultural tenancies, single farm payments, land registration and development agreements.
Recommendations in Chambers UK 2010:-
"This firm offers a range of specialist agricultural services, including trust and tax planning, residential conveyancing, and estate planning and restructuring. It provides employment advice and administrative services, and has been involved in high-value farmland and estate transactions. The team draws on the expertise of different departments in the firm to emerge a strong regional player. Its high-quality client base includes estates and farmers."
"Sources Say: 'The wisdom of a London firm in a county town.' "
"According to clients, Robin Illingworth is 'an extraordinarily exceptional fellow', while Katherine Haslam is noted for her growing talent. She specialises in a range of property, administration and investment work, including landlord and tenant and commercial matters."