Buying and Selling Businesses
We understand the different commercial drivers that apply to transactions - from corporate acquisitions to management buy-outs and trade sales.
The sale or purchase of a business needs to be structured and handled according to those different drivers. Risk areas and key commercial issues need to be identified early on and solutions found. Advice is also required on how to structure the transaction as tax efficiently as possible.
Apart from the obvious question of payment terms, there are many other issues which can impact the decisions that seller and purchaser must make, including:
- the stability of the workforce following sale;
- regulatory or licence issues;
- what assets (and any liabilities) are to be transferred or retained;
- the loyalty of key customers and suppliers to the business;
- hidden costs, such as stamp duty;
- how to avoid VAT; and
- capital gains tax and entrepreneurs' relief.
However large or small, buying or selling a business is always an important transaction. Our commercial team have many years of experience in guiding clients from the planning stage through to completion and beyond. We take the burden of the transaction, allowing our clients to concentrate on the things they need to be doing. We liaise closely with accountants, corporate financiers and other advisers to achieve the best result and meet deadlines.
If you are an Indian company looking to make acquisitions in the UK, you will find our prices more competitive than City law firms. Our service levels are excellent too.
Our clients come from a wide range of industry sectors including leisure, motor retail, technology, professional services and aviation.
Typically, our role covers:
- preparing a business for sale;
- implementing tax planning opportunities;
- assisting in negotiations;
- negotiating the sale agreement and related legal documents;
- advising on staff-related issues;
- business investigation and disclosure;
- dealing with stamp duty; and
- co-ordinating funders and other advisers to meet completion deadlines.
Our main role is in the final negotiation and documentation stage leading up to completion. But please don't overlook the value that your lawyer can deliver by advising on structural and good house-keeping issues many months, even years, ahead of the sale or purchase date.
For further advice contact our team direct or talk to your usual contact in the firm.